Friday, May 27, 2016

Do You Have Goals? Blog Hop Update



Many thanks to Misha and Beth for this monthly hop.
This post isn't my "usual," but it's where I'm at.


I've been a bit sick these last few weeks, and before that my mom was sick and in the hospital and . . . well, it's been one of "those" months. I'm really glad that June is just around the corner. 

I didn't accomplish my goals for the month in any area, but I tried to make some progress.

Words written: 13,388 (ouch! definitely not 25,000)
Miles walked: 30 (pretty good for only 2 weeks worth of walking)
Miles biked: 8.5 :(


The rest goal - this is the one that I ended up doing because circumstances forced me to:

And, here are a few things that brought me rest:


I went to see Symmetry the band at The Crocodile in Seattle on the night before Mother's Day. My mom was in the hospital, I was stressed, but my family "knows" the lead singer of the band playing that night and we had missed the opportunity to see them several other times when they were in the area. We "know" him in the sense that we knew him from church when he was a teen and want to keep encouraging him to live out his dream. We had a moment of awkwardness after the show when I wanted to take his picture, and then I thought "what if he doesn't remember us?" Still the wonderful young man we remembered, he hugged all of us and thanked us for coming. :)
We didn't stay for the other bands because exhaustion hit me pretty hard that night, but I soaked up all the joy I could from that moment - as a much-needed relief from the stress of the week.
The link above takes you to the band's website. They have a song in the new Mother's Day movie soundtrack, and I think they are continuing to grow a solid fan base. (BTW, one of the band members is blind, but he still rocks the stage with lead guitar.) Here's one of their Youtube videos:






I walked on my regular neighborhood route this month, but I also went "downtown" to Gig Harbor where my daughters paddle, and did some longer walks there. Here are some pics of the views in "downtown."

In the center of the photo, there are three kayakers (tiny here) and one of them is my daughter.
In the background, you can just see Mt. Rainier peeking out above the ridge in the horizon near the mouth of the harbor.


This is from the southwest side of the Harbor (next to the mouth seen in the distance in the previous pic) and Mt. Rainier is peeking out now above Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, across the Puget Sound.

*Mt. Rainier is a volcano over 14,000 feet, and I grew up near the "foothills" on a small plateau, so I use it to judge where I'm at on the west side of Washington state. 

And, although I usually write through everything, this month, I found myself taking a number of pictures to capture the beauty around me. I took a number of shots of different things and places, but I was focused on daisies, partly because they are in bloom and partly because they are my mom's favorite flowers. 





Have you enjoyed May flowers this month? And, how are your goals shaping up?

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry your mother was in the hospital. That would stress me.
Great you got to see the band.
And the photos are really good. Cool you can see Mt. Rainier in the background.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your mother. Mine's been having health issues too and it sucks big time. =(

Tyrean Martinson said...

Sorry for the odd update - my mom was in the hospital at the beginning of the month, then we had a week of awesome-normal, and then I got sick . . . so the emergencies are over, and we're all on the mend.

Denise Covey said...

It sounds like a difficult month in many ways, Tyrean. Always hard when a parent/child is unwell. I hope June is fabulous for you and you get many more words done. :-)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm so sorry your mother was in the hospital. I've been through that several times.

Beth said...

Being sick sucks. Glad you were still able to make progress.

Misha Gerrick said...

May seems to have hit most of us. Sorry to hear you've been feeling sick and that your mother ended up in hospital. I hope both of you are feeling much better!

Olga Godim said...

Sorry about your mom's health problems. Despite it, you've done much in May. Hopefully, June will be better. Good luck.

Ruth Livingstone said...

You may not have achieved everything you planned to do, but you still managed a decent word count with your writing, and got some walking done too. Glad to hear both you and your mum are OK now.

Heather R. Holden said...

Those daisy photos are so lovely! Also, I think your May accomplishments are incredibly impressive, especially when you factor in all your struggles for the month. Keeping my fingers crossed that June doesn't throw as many stressors your way!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about the sickness. I'm glad you and your mom are both feeling better. I think other goals should go out the window when your health is low. Getting well becomes the number one goal. Anything else is extra. Love the photos, especially the daisies. Thanks for including the link to Symmetry. I like their music. They're really good! And it's nice that the lead singer's growing fame hadn't changed him. He's still the person you knew. Here's to a much better June!

Murees Dupè said...

I'm sorry you and your mom weren't feeling well. I hope you feel better. I think you did great in May. Wishing you and your family the best.

J Lenni Dorner said...

Yikes. May really slapped a bunch of people!
Those pics are great though. Thanks for sharing!