Friday, October 24, 2014

Celebrate the Small Things and Prep for NaNo, part 3


Celebrate the Small Things:
(Brought to us by Viklit and her team of Celebrators)

1. My husband's hospital stay was less than 36 hours - yay! He's a healthy guy, but we had a scare that is requiring some further tests. With some minor medical care and his usual eat-healthy-bike-to-work lifestyle, he should be ok.

2. Lots of prayers, thoughts, hugs, and offers of help by family and friends. Thank you. When my prayers were in the speechless-shock-groan-of-the-heart category, I had some serious
prayer warriors intervening. Again, thank you.

3. Ashes Burnis on its 9th episode today. The three characters: Wend, Teresa, and King Bryant have intertwined stories. Wend's story updates on Mondays, Teresa's story updates on Wednesdays, and King Bryant's updates on Fridays.

4. And, these eyes . . .
Clyde, our "foundling-rescue" dog. And yes, he's full-grown - part pug, part beagle, part ?



Prep for NaNoWriMo, Part 3: Super Simple Outlines

 Loglines are a single sentence summary of the plot. Although a challenge to write, they guide me through the twisting "squirrel" chasing moments of mad writing for NaNoWriMo.

I would write more about loglines, but I found this amazing, incredible post on loglines by C. Lee Mckenzie.

After I write a logline for the whole book, I try to write one for each character.

 Logline for the novel:
Logline for the MC:
Logline for the antagonist:
Logline for the love interest/best friend/mentor:
  
When I get through my loglines, I expand to this style of outline:

Super Simple Outline:
1. Set up/Inciting Incident: What starts the story?

2. Three challenges/obstacles that the MC will face:

3. Mirror Moment: at what point will the MC see the difference between who she/he wants to be and who she/he is, and decide to change/make a difference?

4. Climax:

5. Resolution:


Slightly more extended outlines, like the Save the Cat 18 point outline, are where I head next . . .

Do you use simple loglines or outlines, or do you need the twenty page type outlines to write? Are you a plotter/pantser/hybrid?

What are you celebrating this week?

And don't forget your Friday Freebie: Dragonfold and Other Adventures for kindle readers. This is a book of fantastical stories and poems. Enjoy!

Also, the first two books in The Champion Trilogy, Champion in the Darkness and Champion in Flight, are currently 99 cents for ebook. This sale lasts until the end of October.




 

 

 

 

12 comments:

Laura Clipson said...

Glad your husband is OK! Your dog is super cute :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Great news your husband is doing great now.
Your pup is a cutie.
Save the Cat's Beat Sheet is one of the best I've seen. I liked the way Lee broke down setting up the logline.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Prayers for you & your husband - if you don't mind them from a stranger?
Cute dog - awww.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

So glad your husband will be okay.

Your puppy is adorable. Look at those eyes.

Unknown said...

Good the hubby is getting back. Oh those big eyes! Melting my heart!

cleemckenzie said...

Good news about your guy. Hope he stays well and at home.

And I think the ? is the best part of any dog.

Tara Tyler said...

So much good stuff happening here!
yay for your hub! and what a cute puppy! loglines are tough but i like your method and thanks for the links!

Luanne G. Smith said...

Wow, so much news. First, glad your husband is all right. Also, that dog! A pug/beagle mix? That's awesome. And lastly, you are WAY too organized for NaNo. It took me weeks to figure the right log line for the novel I'm querying now. I can't imagine coming up with one for all the characters too. Ha!

Maurice Mitchell said...

It looks like the eat-healthy-bike-to-work lifestyle is the way to go Tyrean.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

So glad your hubby is okay. I do a rough outline and keep notes on each character and update as needed.

Anonymous said...

Ashes Burn is such a cool idea -- I'm getting caught up. Clyde looks like a real character. =]

L.G. Keltner said...

Medical scares are no fun. I'm glad that your husband is going to be okay.