Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Snow is Falling, The Snow is Falling!!!


Photo by "aquilasteve" on Flickr aquilasteve's photostream

I had a regular post planned, but my mind has been overwhelmed by "snowmageddon" outside.

I live 1/4 mile from Puget Sound, and we usually get a dust of snow that melts by mid-morning.

We have six inches of snow this morning, and I feel like I've gone back to my childhood. I grew up in Enumclaw, Washington which is a plateau made from an old lava flow from Mt. Rainier and is nestled up against the foothills that start the ascent to Mt. Rainier National Park. We had a good amount of snow every winter, except maybe one, in my memory of growing up. Snowmen, snowball fights, snow forts, and even snowslides on the neighbor's back deck steps were a wonderful part of life.

Here, my kids are happy to build a snowman every 2-4 years with all the snow in our yard, and hope to take a picture of him before he melts. We go to the mountains to ski and snowboard, sled and throw snowballs.

Today, it's here in our very own yard, and it's deep enough to really play in. True, my girls had friends over on Monday and played in the 1-2 inches that melted by 4 in the afternoon, but this . . .this is so much better, so much more snow.

Humorously, the weather reporters in the Northwest are calling it "Snowmageddon" . . .this is due to most Northwesterners inability to drive, think, or do anything when snow is on the ground. Unless one is an avid skier or snowboarder, or lives in the foothills or the mountains, snow sadly frightens most Northwesterners. If you don't believe me, check out this news article in one of the local papers, Snowmageddon

For us, it is a source of delight. Now, the question is . . .do we romp in the yard all day, or do we head to the mountains for deep powder skiing this afternoon and evening at the snow area with night hours?

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Do both! We don't get much snow here and the entire town shuts down if there's even a threat of snow.

Warren Baldwin said...

We were blessed with a snowfall before Christmas and still have snow remaining from it. It was about 8 inches, but it has been too cold to melt.

Romping or skiing ... both produce wonderfully lasting memories. Enjoy the day!

Emily R. King said...

I've been snowed in, too. It was fun the first three days, but today, I'm ready to get out!
Have fun in the snow!

Tasha Seegmiller said...

I'm actually including part of this kind of weather in my WIP. I lived in Mt. Vernon for two years and it snowed maybe three inches one day - the town freaked out, but being from Utah, I never could figure out what the big deal was.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

Snow is a rare sight for me here in Australia. I think I've only seen it twice in my life and only on my travels.

Luanne G. Smith said...

Ugh, my entire winter has been one snow storm after another. And wouldn't you know it. I live in Colorado and I'm not a skier. Some people would say there's something wrong with me because of that. :P

Tyrean Martinson said...

Alex - Great advice . . . but we decided to stay home and test our sleds on the tiny hill nearby.

Warren - I agree! Fun, and lasting memories are what we are after.

Emily - Being outside in the snow makes it wonderful!

Tasha - Cool!

Lynda - Wow! I didn't realize that . . .although maybe if I had thought about it long enough I would have realized that Australia wouldn't be a snowy place.

L.G. - But you can make snow angels, right?! Or you could snowmobile, throw snowballs, etc.

Joanne said...

Last year around this time we were buried in snow. I am so enjoying the fact the weather is alot milder and so far just one snow fall and that was back in October!
Have fun!
Blessings, Joanne

Karen Lange said...

Hmm, that is a dilemma! But I can see the educational value in either one. Homeschooling means living and playing too. :)

Tyrean Martinson said...

Joanne - Thanks!!!

Karen - Love that you can see the educational benefit in either one! Homeschooling is great that way. We played, did lessons, played some more, did a few more lessons, played until we got really cold, and then drank coconut creamer cocoa (for those of us with dairy problems).

Angie said...

We've had one snow day since we moved to our house where we routinely have 2-3 feet of snow on the ground all winter. Not this winter, though. I'm sorry to hear about your tree on Facebook. Hope your power is on and all is well!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks Angie! Our power is currently on (it's been intermitten the last few days), and most of our trees are ok.