Wednesday, November 30, 2011

LAST DAY OF NaNoWriMo - The End



Here I sit, at the brink of finishing NaNoWriMo 2011. As I write this post, my word count rests fitfully at 49,881 words.

Why did I stop there?

Because my husband asked me an everyday question, and I took that as a wonderful excuse to step back from the PC for 20 minutes.

Because the last 1,200 words I wrote totally sucked.

Because even though I've stuffed my inner editor away for 29 days, she's back and she's monstrously huge.

Why?

Because I always have this amazing, beautiful, glorous finale scene in my head when I begin my stories, and when I get to the end, it fizzles. The fireworks backfire, and the smoke rises around the flames on the ground that slowly die into smoking embers. And I'm left choking in the cloudy haze.




So, I have 119 words to cross the finish line, and I want those last steps to rise from the embers and fly like a phoenix into a golden horizon of storytelling.

So, now that I've taken a break, worked on a few old metaphors about writing, and given my husband a big squeezy hug as he goes out the door for work, I can get back to writing the finish, the finale, the end . . .

Thanks for stopping by and listening to me rant for a moment. It actually cheered me up . . . it's odd how that works.

I hope that all of you NaNoWriMo Champions out there have an awesome last day.

May your endings be golden!


7 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

I'm sure you'll cross that finish line soon enough. :)

I know what you mean about endings fizzling. I did that in novels #2 and #3 I wrote. I had this spectacular ending planned out, but when I got to it, it fizzled out. Perhaps writing that spectacular ending first next time might help. :)

Cassie Mae said...

The endings are so much pressure for me too! You see it in your head the entire time as you write it, so you need it to be beautiful!!!

You'll get it all down, and then you can breathe again :)

Jasmine Walt said...

Good luck with your finale! I'm sure you'll get it down by the end of today. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I hope you do it!! You still have a few hours remaining today.

vic caswell said...

YAY!!!! ((i'm sure you've written those few last words by now))
ConGratUlaTionS!!!!!!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Cherie - Great Idea!!! and Yes, I finished!

Cassie - Thanks for the encouragement!

Jasmine - Thanks!

Alex - I finished!

Vic - Thanks!!!

Joanne said...

Wow that is amazing! I can barely write a page without being interupted. i really admire you!!!
Blessings, Joanne