Saturday, March 12, 2011

365 Days of Blessings, Day 286

Today I'm giving thanks for these blessings:

Writing Life Blessings:

1. Waking up to write a poetic prose piece that might have a kernel of something usable/publishable in it, and having fun while writing it.

2. Revision planning, and revision for The Crystal Sword that I think will make it readable. I hope.

3. Looking for places to submit my poetry and short fiction, and stumbling across this list at Strange Horizons Stories We've Seen Too Often and laughing my way through most of it. I have to admit, yes, I have a tendency to use some overused plots, but for the most part, this list made me a feel more confident about my writing.

4. My husband, who claims not to be creative (ha!), woke up this morning thinking about a fantasy story involving dragons, half dragon-half lion creatures, and a new fantasy creature altogether that turns into a ball of rock when flamed by a dragon, but then is able to come of its protective shell several months later. Maybe it was just his fever making his mind creative, but it's good to know that we can talk about our wild imaginations together now and then.

General Life Blessings:

5. The rain is soft, fast and light at the moment - a kind of tickling sound on the roof versus the pelunking and drumming sounds that woke me this morning.

6. Finishing a batch of e-mails that had to be written.

7. Sticky notes.

8. Fasting during Lent had me daydreaming about different types of dessert I like with chocolate this morning. Chocolate haystacks, chocolate melted over salty cashews and a banana - my own version of Chunky Monkey, and chocolate cashew butter cups, homemade. MMM. And now, I have to find my Bible if I'm going to resist.

9. Books from my college days that I actually kept like Making the Journey, and Seeking Diversity: Language Arts with Adolescents. I'm not sure that either of these books make my top 100 list, and I don't agree with all the methodology or thinking in either of them, but they are a great jumping off point for teaching workshop type writing classes.

10. My oldest daughter is reading the newspaper these days, and today she brought me an article to read about faith.

11. Christ calls us for His glory, not our own.

Scripture Blessings:

"For from him and through him and for him are all things.
To him be the glory forever! Amen."
Romans 11:35

2 comments:

The Words Crafter said...

Your verse made me think of the one we live and move and have our being...

I can tell you scripture, just not always where it's located!

Hmmm, your husband's feverish state produced fantasy ideas. He gets an 'A' for good use of resources!

Have a great week and thanks for stopping by!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks Words Crafter!
I know what you mean about not being able to locate scripture - sometimes the internet is helpful, especially Bible Gateway.
Have a great week!