Wednesday, August 25, 2010

365 Days of Blessings - Day 88

Shared Blessings
Karen Lange of Write Now says, "Here in north central KY, we've been blessed with weather that's a little cooler. It is so refreshing after a long summer mostly in the 90's. I am looking forward to and thankful for fall!" - Thanks for sharing Karen!

365 Days of Blessings, Day 88
1. God is always present in our lives, even when we try to ignore him.

2. The book of Jonah, one of my favorite books of the Bible. I've always understood Jonah's crankiness . . . perhaps, because I'm a little cranky myself sometimes. Faith includes those moments, and works through them.

3. God directs my paths, even if it takes a rockslide barring one direction at a crossroads to get my attention.

4. My husband's willingness to drive to Eugene, OR and back home in two days, and do most of the driving touches my heart. He took pictures of my family, drove when I intended to drive, giving me the gift of time to work on my writing, and my class syllabi for the fall. He is an amazing husband - Praise God!

5. Yesterday, we celebrated the life of my Uncle Lloyd at a memorial service in Eugene, OR. I cried, and that was good. I cried more on the way home, and I know I'll cry more at each moment that I miss him, but the tears are good tears . . . not overwhelming, but a release.

6. We laughed at the Celebration of Life service too. Uncle Lloyd liked to tell stories that would make others laugh, and inspired us to do the same.

7. Two of my second cousins stood up and spoke about their loving Grandpa, and they showed their love of him with every word.

8. Family stood up and spoke. Neighbors stood up and spoke. We all had stories to tell of his love, his humor, and his sweet soul and heart that lit up our lives brighter even than the Christmas light displays he was featured in the local newspapers for putting on each year.

9. I had a chance to get to know some of my cousins and their kids all over again, and met some second cousins for the first time.

10. One comment by one of my Uncle Lloyd's neighbors just keeps reverberating in my head and it went something like this, "he didn't like seeing other people's leavings on the ground, because he loved beauty, and tried to make beauty wherever he went." and then this other comment, "he had an opinion, and I appreciated that. He was well-informed about his neighborhood, his city, his community, his state, and his nation. He didn't let anything pass by him."

There's much more I could say about yesterday, and one thing I regret . . . I didn't go to my Aunt's house yesterday afternoon, because of our long drive home. We hope to drive that way again in September, and I hope we can stop and see her again then.

Extra Blessings: A wonderful walk on the riverfront yesterday morning before the Celebration of Life service. A old willow tree overhanging the water. A path of wide stones from river's edge to a little island. Hugs from family. Conversation at the reception. Pictures. A new writing book put into use on the car drive. A fun writing prompt. A finished writing class syllabus in the rough. A finished Shakespeare class syllabus nearly polished enough to call complete. Homecoming. Dogs. Cat. My own bed. Waking with a hug from my husband. Bible Study. Prayer. Writing. Blogging. and much more I won't name in this moment.


Scripture Blessings: (continued from yesterday)

Jonah 1:4 "Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up."

Jonah 1:15 "Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm."

Jonah 1:17 "But the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights."

Jonah 2:1-2 "From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. He said, 'In my distress I called to the Lord, and he answered me. From the depths of the grave I called for help, and you listened to my cry.'"

Jonah 3:1-3a "Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time: 'Go to the great city of Ninevah and proclaim to it the message I give you.'
Jonah obeyed the word of the Lord and went to Ninevah."

2 comments:

Karen Lange said...

You are welcome, and many thanks to you for your attitude of gratitude and blessings. It's contagious!
Blessings,
Karen

Tyrean Martinson said...

Thanks Karen! It's awesome to hear that my attitude of gratitude is contagious! That's what I'm hoping for each day.